Time and time again, my clients complain that moisturizer makes their skin too “greasy”, so they omit that step in their daily regimen. It’s also common to hear they’ve been using the same moisturizer for years. That’s the equivalent of saying you’ve had the same wardrobe since high school, haha!
When you fail to moisturize, you put your skin at risk of being depleted of necessary nutrients. This causes dryness, which leads to fine lines and wrinkles. Skipping the moisturizer also eliminates that extra barrier from the elements and/or makeup (insert premature aging here…)
First, let me say that there is no “one size fits all” approach to moisturizing, so knowing your skin type will come in handy when selecting the proper self-care products. For a better understanding of this, we’ll cover some of the skin basics so you can better analyze your skin and make informed decisions on products going forward.
- Sensitive Skin – easily irritated and often red
- Normal – not breakout prone or dry with an even skin tone
- Dry Skin – flaky, dull, tight skin
- Oily Skin – breakout prone, large pores, shiny skin
- Combination Skin – typically oily in T Zone (forehead, nose, chin) and dry in other areas
Next, we’ll identify what to look for in moisturizer that best suits your skin type.
- Sensitive Skin – look for products that contain no fragrance or chemicals and are perhaps hypoallergenic. Our Milk Cream would be a great fit for you as it contains Milk Protein, Aloe Vera, and Vitamin E to sooth and hydrate your skin without causing irritation.
- Normal Skin – choose a moisturizer that contains nutrients to maintain your healthy complexion, like our Vitamin A & E Moisture Cream. It provides intense hydration while also increasing cell turnover to unveil that beautiful glow.
- Dry Skin – heavier creams and nutrient rich moisturizers such as our Super Moisture Cream will suit you well. Vitamin E moisturizes and soothes tight, dry skin, while Vitamin A increases cell turnover for a radiant complexion.
- Oily Skin – “oil free” and “non-comedogenic” are words to look for in products. Our Skin Balance Moisturizer minimizes oil activity while also creating more even complexion with Vitamin C.
- Combination Skin – you’ll want to look for products that hydrate the skin without exacerbating oil production. Our Milk Cream makes its second appearance on the list, as Vitamin E will provide just the right amount of moisture to keep your skin balanced.
Lastly, if you’re currently a non-believer in moisturizer, I hope this helps shift your mindset and eliminate some of the confusion with purchasing products. Let’s not forget, there are skin care professionals who can further assist you with creating the perfect self-care regimen, so schedule that facial you’ve been wanting A.S.A.P. Remember, great skin doesn’t happen by chance, it happens by appointment!